The grand opening of Johannesburg’s newest dining sensation, Carnelian at the Rock, took place a few days ago, with a tasting menu of the unique tapas and cocktail options that adorn its line up.
Myself and a few other food bloggers attended the gala, to sample the selection of dishes that had been hand-picked by Carnelian head chef Bianca Fogwell, and the cocktails specially prepared by celebrated mixers George Hunter and Cameron Henning, who are resident at Carnelian.
Among the tapas dishes served on the evening were:
- Arancini (Mozzarella- and parmesan-filled fried risotto with parsley mayonnaise and parmesan crisps).
- Tempura Beans (Tempura fried fine green beans served with a sesame, ginger and soy dressing).
- Grilled Mielies (Flame grilled mielies served with a sesame, ginger and soy dressing).
- Smoked Salmon Cakes (With homemade tartare, crispy capers and salmon skin crisps).
- Snoek pate & Roosterkoek (Smoked snoek pate with traditional rooster kook, peach chutney and apricot gel).
- Pork Belly & Kimchi (Roasted pork belly on vegetable kimchi with pork crackling and pak choi).
- Lamb Ribs (Slow cooked lamb riblets with mango atchar, yoghurt labneh and fresh mint).
- Sushi (Our original designs using all the freshest ingredients).
- Grapefruit Avo Salad (Fresh avocado and grapefruit segments tossed with red onion and radish in a honey mustard dressing).
- Caesar Salad (Cos lettuce with a creamy anchovy and parmesan dressing, tossed with crispy bacon, parmesan cheese and croutons).
Dessert options were:
- Vanilla Meringue (Vanilla meringue with creamy lemon curd, passion fruit pulp and yoghurt sorbet).
- Magwenya & Milk tart (Milk tart filled magenta served with burnt orange and cinnamon syrup).
Additionally, some of Carnelian’s signature cocktails were prepared by our award-winning cocktail experts, including:
- Stone of motivation
- Sweet Repeal
- French 75
- American Word
- Bloody Mary
- Captain Jack Sparrow
- Noci Di Coco
- Kir Royal
- Blue Suede Shoes
- Old Fashioned
Carnelian’s tapas and cocktails menu has been designed to add an entirely new dimension to this vibrant and exotic dining style. Based above the Rock at the Fourways Design Quarter, Carnelian is an exclusive dining venue, ideal for formal and informal lunches, get-togethers and functions. Among its features are a main dining room with luxurious contemporary décor, and two private dining rooms:
- The Living Wall Room; in a discrete sunken setting, with a full wall of plants designed to bring coolness and calm to your elegant lunch, dinner or business meeting.
- The Cellar Room, adjoining Carnelian’s exceptional wine cellar, designed to guarantee discretion while affording a full view of the main dining room.
Find out more about Carnelian on carnelian.co.za or by calling 011 465 5346